- Mezzaluna 6-inch knife and bamboo bowl for convenient chopping, mincing, and more
- Precision-forged in Japan by renowned blade manufacturer KAI
- Blade with 33 layers of stainless steel for a rust-free Damascus look
- Comfortable Pakkawood handle; washing by hand recommended
- Measures approximately 9-1/2 by 9-1/5 by 3-1/2 inches; limited lifetime warranty
- 9.5 x 9.2 x 3.5 inches
A thoughtful gift idea for any cooking enthusiast, this Mezzaluna knife and bowl set by Shun are a dynamic duo when it comes to food-prep convenience. Appropriately named Mezzaluna, or "half moon" in Italian, the uniquely shaped knife features a curved 6-inch blade and handle that enable a rocking motion for smooth, effortless chopping of onions, carrots, peppers, and other vegetables, as well as the mincing of herbs such as basil, cilantro, and parsley. The set's bamboo bowl nicely accommodates the shape of the knife while also adequately containing the cut pieces. Furthermore, the knife's wide blade makes it possible to scoop up and transfer food from the bamboo bowl to awaiting pots and pans. Overall, the set measures approximately 9-1/2 by 9-1/5 by 3-1/2 inches.
Like other knives in Shun's Classic collection, the Mezzaluna knife comes precision-forged in Japan by renowned blade manufacturer KAI. Its eye-catching beauty starts with a VG-10 stainless-steel blade, which features 16 layers of SUS410 high-carbon stainless steel on each side, producing a 33 layered Damascus look, but without the rusting problems associated with Damascus. The Damascus detailing not only enhances the knife's aesthetic appeal, but it also prevents morsels from sticking and helps maintain the integrity of food when slicing. The knife's sleek good looks continue on into its handle. The unique ebony Pakkawood handle consists of a fused blend of hardwood veneers and resin to exceptionally noteworthy results. Though dishwasher-safe, Shun recommends washing the knife by hand for best results.
Born of the ancient samurai-sword-making tradition and hand-finished for precision and beauty, Shun Classic is an ideal choice for anyone buying their first Japanese knife or 50th. The high-quality line of cutlery makes a worthwhile addition to any chef's arsenal of tools--it's used by professional chefs and home cooks alike. Produced in the widest variety of specialized styles, the Classic line features both traditional European blade shapes and innovative cutting-edge designs.
Shun Classic's amazingly sharp blade is famous for both edge retention and ease of sharpening. Each blade has a core of VG-10 "Super Steel" with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel--16 layers on either side. While the wood grain pattern enhances the knife's beauty, it also adds durability and stain resistance, and reduces friction when cutting.
- Blade core consists of high-carbon VG-10, a Japanese super steel known for its edge retention, allowing the knives to hold their sharp edges for years.
- Blades boast a 16-degree angle, making these the sharpest knives out of the box. This is sharper than traditional European blades, which are usually sharpened to 20-22 degrees.
- Clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side for strength and flexibility. This metal is corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Damascus styling adds to the beauty of the knife while the microscopic air pockets created by the cladding process reduces friction during slicing.
- D-shaped handle fits in the palm and provides comfort and control, keeping the knife's handle secure in the hand during use.
- Available standard in D-shaped handle styles or by special order in reverse D-shaped handle styles.
- Pakkawood handles, made of resin-impregnated hardwood, are NSF Certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Produced in Seki City, Japan, the capital of samurai sword manufacturing.
- Rockwell hardness rating of 60-61 ensures that it takes and holds its incredibly sharp edge longer.
- Hand wash and dry recommended; limited lifetime warranty.
|Blade Material:||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel cutting core, clad with 16 layers of SUS410/SUS431 Pattern Damascus stainless steel on each side, for a total of 33 layers of metal.|
|Cutting angle:||16 degrees per side (comprehensive angle 32 degrees). This is sharper than European knives, ground to 20-22 degrees per side.|
|Handle Material:||PakkaWood (resin-impregnated hardwood); D-Shaped handle available in right and (by special order) left-handed versions.|
|Sharpening recommendations:||Weekly honing to maintain the blade, sharpening as needed with professional sharpener or Asian-style electric sharpener.|